• Climate : We enjoy a tropical climate with 3 distinct seasons - hot from March through May, wet from June to September, and cool from October through February. The average annual temperature is 28 C (83 F), ranging from in Bangkok, for example, from 30 C in April to 25 C in December.
• What To Wear : Light, loose cotton clothing is best. Nylon should be avoided. Sweaters are needed during the cool season evenings or if visiting mountainous areas or national parks. Jackets and ties are required in a few restaurants and nightclubs. Neat clothes are required for entering temples or palaces.
• Local Time : GMT + 7 hours.
• Business Hours : Most offices open from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Friday, except on public holidays. General banking hours are Monday to Friday 9.30 am to 3.30 pm. Many stores open 12 hours a day, seven days a week.
• Currency : There are 100 satangs in 1 baht. (B=baht) Notes are issued in denominations of B1000 (gray), B500 (purple), B100 (red), B50 (blue), B20 (green), and B10 (brown). There are 10, 5 and 1 baht coin, and 50 and 25 satang. Most foreign currencies and traveller cheques are easily changed at banks, hotels or moneychangers. All major credit cards are widely accepted throughout the kingdom.
• Electricity : The electric system is 220 Volt AC (50 cycles). There are many plugs and sockets in use. Travelers with shavers, tape recorders and other appliances should carry a plug-adapter kit.
Thai Public Holidays 2007
01 Jan New Year's Day
Late January to early March
Makha Bucha Day
06 Apr Chakri Day
13 Apr Songkran Day
01 May National Labour Day
05 May Coronation Day
May Visaka Bucha Day
July Asanha Bucha Day
July Khao Phansa (Buddhist Lent)
12 Aug H.M. The Queen's Birthday
23 Oct Chulalongkorn Day
05 Dec H.M. The King's Birthday
10 Dec Constitution Day
31 Dec New Year's Eve